Anand Fadeout

Mdeii Life - Anand Krishnamoorthi's blog

Monday, January 10, 2005

The start of the Spring Term in the middle of the winter

Finally, my department has decided what they should make of me. My script has not been chosen for production. This means that I can maybe discuss it in my blog in detail. But that has to wait while I finish my essay on The Godfather. Which brings me to thank everybody who pitched in and gave their opinions about the movie.

My department also has decided to let me specialize in three areas: Direction, Sound Design and Independent producing and Production Management. So if I am really lucky, I could direct one of the four graduation films from my batch.

During the course of my research I came across some really good books that I wish to suggest here.

In the Blink of an Eye: A Perspective on Film Editing by Walter Murch; yes THE Walter Murch.

Qu'est-ce que le cinéma? by Andre Bazin (What is Cinema? Tr. Hugh Gray); a definite classic that I get to read here in full. It even has a little bit about anthropomorphism in film. So if CC wants to know if you can have a detailed study about the Rama Narayanan brand of cinema, the answer is yes.

Having read Murch, I was even more interested in watching Coppola's Apocalypse Now: Redux, and I saw it essentially for his theories about layering of sound. But this time I watched it with headphones on. It felt like a totally different film compared to the truncated, fuzzy, chopped up affair I saw last on broadcast TV. It goes on to show how a film made for the big screen is meant to be watched on the big screen. BTW Here is a link to Murch's lecture Dense Clarity Clear Density where he talks about mixing sound for Apocalypse Now and The Godfather. A must read even if you are only remotely interested in film sound.


9:02 pm

 | 

Comments to The start of the Spring Term in the middle of the winter

yes remotely interested in sound... but surely intersted in reading.. will go though the link...

posted by Blogger Mausmi J 

4:35 pm, January 12, 2005
 

Talkin of sound in films, I'm more interested in cinematography than sound. Sound down South in India is generally a backseat position as far as films are concerned. Anyway, I'l look out for the special differences next time I see the Godfather. :-)

Sirpy
http://themankeys.blogdrive.com

posted by Anonymous Anonymous 

7:40 pm, January 17, 2005
 

Post a Comment
Powered by Blogger

Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a

Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.