Anand Fadeout

Mdeii Life - Anand Krishnamoorthi's blog

Thursday, July 06, 2006

From the Beeb archives

The 2003 Reith Lectures were delivered by Vilayanur Ramachandran.

Of the many plattitudes that I find irritatingly misused, there is one that is understood to assert that analysis and enjoyment are somehow mutually exclusive. அனுபவிக்கணும், ஆராயக்கூடாது. It is a fallacy to think that art and the abstract are better off not dissected, and must only be superficially consumed.

Contrary to popular opinion, I enjoy a film more when I am able to go into its mechnics and workings, and am glad that I have access to an endless supply of films that provide me these thrills.

Ramachandran in his lectures, discussed the blurring between the sciences, the arts, and the humanities; when the 'methods' of science help understand the hitherto inviolable abstact areas of human faculty (as a corrollary, I suppose the 'madness' of art applied to the sciences is what are called 'inspiration' and 'genuis').

Of all the abstracts to analyse, Ramachandran's forte is the human mind: thought, emotion, even the human propensity for illogic.

Enjoy!


External link

 | 

1:05 pm

 | 

Comments to From the Beeb archives

Firstly I have not come across this distinction (as much as you have to call it a platitude).

Obviously, they are not mutually exclusive. Same can be said of Sciences and Arts.

But, I feel they are not the same either. There are so many pieces of art, which demanded no further* analysis or dissection (as in, dissection after the "consumption") than what we directly perceive out of it.

* - which layer is a "further analysis" is actually very subjective.

posted by Anonymous Anonymous 

2:32 pm, July 06, 2006
 

Zero: My understanding of your comment might be limited, but I think you are agreeing with me?

posted by Blogger Anand 

3:29 pm, July 06, 2006
 

Yeah! :P
Well, I was also trying to say that there are some things - well, let me put it the way I connect to, some films - that do no need further analysis and can actually be relished without further* dissection. Romba olarren'no!

* - Subjective, again.

posted by Anonymous Anonymous 

3:37 pm, July 06, 2006
 

Zero: Yeah! You know what, In fact, in order to validate your assertion (which, is of course, as you say, very subjective) aarraaychiya niruthhidalama? :D

posted by Blogger Anand 

8:54 pm, July 06, 2006
 

Post a Comment
Powered by Blogger

Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a

Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.