Mdeii Life - Anand Krishnamoorthi's blog
Friday, June 22, 2007
It was ridiculousness and ridiculousity made flesh!
And when the film itself begs you to not take it seriously, you simply enjoy it.
I loved it!
Monday, June 18, 2007
Ideas for the 3rd front
Campaign for Rajnikanth to be made president!
Friday, June 08, 2007
LOLTamz: Invisible Wrinkles
Original nicked from IndiaGlitz
Sunday, June 03, 2007
Sivaji - The Boss
Almost everybody seems to think that Sivaji cannot fail. After all, there's Rajnikanth, Shankar, AR Rehman and lots of DI. But what if it does? Just trying to be contrarian, and for the superstitious among you, let me be damned.
If it were to succeed or fail, when would we know? Would we know at all? What is success? The film is expensive enough for box-office success to matter. And the fanboy crowd is large enough to take it through the initial few weeks without adverse word-of-mouth affecting it. In any case, I shall be watching this film closely. Should tell me a lot about how Tamil cinema economics works. And the things to watch out for are:
1. Do the projectionists/director/producers start making changes in the film, and if they do, when.
2. Are more prints going out of the labs? Or are some prints coming back in two weeks time?
3. At what point is it going to do the rounds of the second-rung NRI towns?
One thing is almost certain. It is impossible within the first two (or three) weeks to do any sane predictions on how the film will fare. I'm willing to start considering analyses that come after that.
What not to really worry about:
1. Random newspaper and magazine reviews.
2. Television spots and interviews with the likes of Antony.
3. Gossip about how much AVM sold such-and-such rights for.
4. Politicians like Ramdoss making some noise.
The thing that could potentially play spoilsport is the stupid price-ceiling the government introduced a while back. But I do have a lot of faith in our cinemas to circumvent that.
This work is licensed under aCreative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.